Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Beertastic!

What goes best with the onset of Fall (Winter?)…beer! Saturday we geared up for an IPA tasting. Jeremy and his fellow lab-mate, Jeff, organized a night of tasting and rating IPA’s.

The great thing about doing a blind tasting is that it leaves all your preconceived notions at the door. You can’t judge the beer by the label or what you normally think you like. For example, Jeremy loves Sierra Nevada, but when he blindly tasted it he commented that “it smells better than it tastes, and it tastes like poo.”

Some other great comments were "Ugh, and I thought number 6 was bad!" and "The budweiser of IPA's".

There was a good group of us there, about 14 people and it was fun hearing what everyone thought. Everyone’s results were tabulated at the end and then the beers were ranked from lowest to highest score.

Here is a picture of the lineup and what we thought was the best and worst. They are lined up from worst to best (left to right)

The winner was...Great Divide's Titan IPA
The loser was...Berkshire IPA
After tasting we headed to Mezcal. After our dinner there on Saturday night I have changed my opinion of Mezcal and it’s not because I had been drinking. I have been there after St. Patrick’s Day a couple years ago when I was way more inebriated. Mezcal is actually pretty decent Mexican food…dare I say it is even good! I had the biggest quesadilla I had ever seen. It was ridiculous and I might add—very tasty.

After dining we made the drive back to Fairfield and fell asleep listening to the Angels/Yankees game. I was very upset when I was awoken by the announcer screaming that the Yankees won. Damn Yankees!! At least it took them 13 innings.

No comments: